Saturday, April 16, 2022

Easter. A Joyous and Beautiful Gift!

At this, Mary Magdalene turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.  He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?  Who is it you are looking for?”  Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.”

Jesus said to her, “Mary.”  She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).  Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father.  Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” (John 20:14-17)


Good morning and Happy Easter!  What does Easter mean?  What does it mean to you?


My first Easter memory was as a five year old.  I will never forget it because I will never forget the Easter outfits my mom got for my brother and me.  My outfit consisted of little green shorts and a striped green shirt.  My brother had on the same new outfit only his was blue.  We looked like a couple of live Easter eggs.  My mom must have gotten them at a two for one sale.  Anyway, we looked ridiculous.  Everyone said we looked so cute, and many wondered if we were twins.  I, on the other hand, could not wait to get back home to take off this funny embarrassing outfit.  Besides, I wanted to eat all the chocolate bunnies in my Easter basket.  Overall it seemed like a good holiday.  I wondered, “is this what Easter is all about?  Is it about new things, new clothes, new candy?”  “Well as long as I got chocolate,” I thought.


Fast Forward to Easter Sunday my Junior year in college.  I was working part-time as a youth minister at an urban church in Columbus Ohio.  Our priest had a crack of dawn service at a local park.  Six or seven of us showed up in this park right before sun-up.  When the Sun came up we had a nice little sunrise Easter service.  Then we each received a kite and were invited to fly our kites through the park, shouting out Alleluia, if we felt so moved.  Overall it was a good Easter holiday.  I wondered, “is this what Easter is all about?  Is Easter about night turning into day, winter turning into spring, rebirth, or new life?”  “Where is the chocolate?!” I thought.


Fast forward to Easter of my last year in seminary.  I was finishing up my masters degree.  I was armed with all of this theological information.  I knew we were going back to Ohio to start a new life.  My first child was on the way.  I went to the National Cathedral that morning.  The place was packed and full of pretty flowers.  The music was spectacular.  The sermon was not so good, at least not to my new higher standards (please note the sarcasm).  Overall it was a good Easter holiday.  I wondered, “is this what Easter is all about?  Is Easter about new knowledge, new beginnings, new life?”  “Where is that darn chocolate?!” I thought.


What does Easter mean? What does it mean to you? 


Let us rewind about 2000 years ago, shall we?  In John chapter 20 we read about the most emotional encounter anybody ever had!  Mary Magdalene is totally despondent. She thinks that somebody has stolen the body of her Lord and friend from the grave.  She can not even properly mourn her loss.  Her only connection has been robbed from her.  She feels an unbearable pain of complete and forever separation from Jesus.  Tragedy has been punctuated by utter catastrophe.  She is so upset she probably doesn’t even realize that two angels just spoke with her.  She is so distraught she doesn't even recognize Jesus through her tears.  Jesus asks her, “why are you weeping?”  “Sir, if you have taken him away, then tell me where you have laid him,” she replies.  Jesus calls her by name, “Mary.”  She shrieks with pure joy,”Rabboni!”  Which means my beloved teacher.  Jesus then tells her not to hold onto him because all is not complete.


It is impossible to comprehend the Resurrection or resurrected life.  It is not just being raised from the dead and given earthly life back again.   Although there are multiple stories in the Bible about people being raised from the dead, they eventually die again.  Resurrected life is new eternal life with God.  The Resurrection appearances give us a slightly fuller picture.  Those encounters witness Jesus in a similar but new spiritual and physical body.  He can be experienced in a new way, but never contained. Nor should He be.  God always teaches us how to be in right and loving relationship, not how to understand everything.  So the Resurrection is beyond our intellectual grasp.  However, it is a truth we can experience and engage.  This encounter between Jesus and Mary teaches us much.


First, the Resurrection is about eternal joy.  It is about healed and renewed relationships.  The Resurrection is the joy of love triumphing over death.  Resurrected life means loving beginning after sad end.  Jesus says, “Why are you weeping?”  Resurrected life is not about sadness.  It is about everlasting joy and peace.  This does not mean that we will not experience sadness in this life. We will, and we should.  Sadness helps us grow in this life.  It reminds us of what truly matters, and it reminds us that we are not in control.  However, sadness is not a part of eternal life. Things do not end with sadness and the grave.  God’s resurrected life always wins. God calls out each of our names inviting us into this eternal joy and peace!  Will we recognize the great shepherd’s voice?


Second, the Resurrection is about trusting and moving forward into a beautiful unknown.  Jesus tells Mary, “Do not hold onto me, for I have not ascended to my Father.”  Mary wants to hold on to this joyful moment.  She would prefer to embrace Jesus there next to the tomb forever.  Who wouldn’t?  However, Jesus knows that the process is not complete.  He will have multiple resurrection appearances to many.  Then, he will finally ascend to complete the salvation process.  Jesus moves into the beautiful unknown, and invites us to follow. His resurrection points to a new reality beyond this earthly life.  One that has us let go of the sad wisdom of this world.  We are called to let go of pride, greed, and fear.  Instead, we are invited by the Risen Christ to an unknown scary yet safer place.  We are invited to remember that the kingdom of God is like a forgiving father. It is like searching for treasure in a field.  It is like a shepherd who leaves everything behind to seek us out when we are lost.  We are all invited to an eternal place of mystery, wonder, faith, joy, peace, hope, and love.  A place we can not possibly fathom, but intuitively trust.  Let us follow the Resurrected Christ into a beautiful unknown.  I pray we might!  Alleluia!  Christ is Risen!!


"Pass the chocolate!!"